Next week is St. Patrick’s Day, which means the celebrations will be in full swing by the weekend. For this week’s Shooting Challenge, let’s embrace the most iconic part of the holiday: the green.
Photograph something where green is the subject-it can be St. Patrick’s related, or it can be its own green thing.
It’s a color week! So it’s a great time to dust off what you may have learned about photographing/editing color in the past. Of course, you can always crank your saturation after you shoot, but there are other tricks, too.
I’d recommend reading this piece on brighthub, and this piece on B&H Photo (even if it is a little product/ad heavy). Together, the two will offer half a dozen tips that you may find useful. But above all else, don’t be afraid of leaving your auto modes and selecting white balance manually. White balance is when you tell your camera, “Hey, this is true white in the scene, so process every other color with that as the base point.” It’ll stop you from getting those odd yellow or blue images and help keep your core colors true.
Our lead image, by eperales, is the Detroit airport tunnel in its green glow. It’s slightly more beautiful than a cup of green-dyed Miller Light.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken this week.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to contests@Virusdefense.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a 2560px wide image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you’re using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules
– though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, March 17th at 10 AM Eastern to contests@Virusdefense.com with “Green” in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameGreen.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameGreenWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.